Kitchen Creations

July 5, 2014

The Ugly Lamps

Have you ever had something in your home that you really didn't like but needed? That's the case with these bedside lamps. They're lamps someone gave us years ago that probably came from Fred's or Family Dollar, to be honest. They've endured markers from kids, and acquired some stains on the shades somehow. The metal paint is chipping off in places.
New-ish looking lamp.
I've been in the process of remaking our bedroom and it is done, for the most part. However, these ugly lamps are a problem. I've looked and looked and just can't find the right lamps for the new look. Or- I find the right lamps and the only have one in stock. It's starting to drive me bananas.

So, I decided until I can find (two of!) the lamps I like, I will just deal with the old ones the best I can.

This requires one of my favorite things: Krylon Spray Paint! A can of "Hammered Metal" and a can of "Celery" (I promise, that's what the color is called).

I taped off the cord and the important parts (such as where you screw the light bulb in) and went to work. I painted the base in the Hammered Metal. I painted the lamp shades (yes, you read that right) in Celery.

Here is the result (sorry for the poor picture quality, I didn't think to take the picture until the last minute... and the picture doesn't really do the lampshade justice). I still don't love them, but I at least kind of like them now.


Original on left, painted on right.

No comments:

Post a Comment